Prayer: A Kalendar for London
A Kalendar of Holy Days approved for use in the Diocese of London
“It is lawful for the General Synod to approve Holy Days which may be observed generally or provincially, and, subject to any directions of the Convocation of the province, for the Ordinary to approve Holy Days which may be observed locally.”
A Kalendar for London was first published in Advent 2012.
Pray with and for people around London and the world.
Subscribe to the Cycle of Prayer using an app.
A Kalendar of Holy Days for use in the Diocese of London.
The Fifth Edition of A Kalendar of Holy Days approved for use in the Diocese of London has nine new Commemorations.
- Of the ten 20th century Martyrs depicted on the West Front of Westminster Abbey only four have a place in the Church of England calendar:
- Janani Luwum, Archbishop of Uganda, Martyr, 1977 on 17 February
- Oscar Romero, Archbishop of San Salvador, Martyr, 1980 on 24 March
- Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Lutheran Pastor, Martyr, 1945 on 9 April
- Maximillian Kolbe, Friar, Martyr, 1941 on 14 August
The six not so commemorated have now been added to this edition. They are:
- Manche Masemola, Martyr, 1960 on 4 February
- Martin Luther King, Pastor, Civil Rights Leader, Martyr, 1968 on 4 April
- Elizabeth Feodorovna of Russia (Grand Duchess Elizabeth), Religious, Martyr, 1918 on 18 July
- Lucian Tapiedi with The Martyrs of Papua New Guinea, 1901 and 1942 on 2 September
- Esther John, Missionary, Martyr, 1960 on 14 October
- Wang Zhiming, Sapushan Church (China) Pastor, Martyr, 1973 on 29 December
- The other three are:
- Nathaniel Woodard, Priest, Educationalist, Founder of the Woodard Schools, 1891 on April 26
- Michael de Northburgh, Bishop of London, Co-Founder of The London Charterhouse, 1361 on September 9
- The Huguenot Exodus from France, late 17th century on October 22
The Diocese of London Directory 2018 contains the Calendar from Advent 2017 to December 2018. This incorporates this 6th Edition of A Kalendar of Holy Days approved for use in the Diocese of London.
As the Kalendar evolves and develops, we are always pleased to receive comments, corrections and further nominations. There is a nomination form attached and it would be helpful if completed forms and comments were sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.