This page contains advice specific to conducting weddings in the Diocese of London. There is much wider information available in the Church Support Hub.

Please note that Banns or a Common Licence may not be used to authorise a marriage unless both of the intended parties are either:

  • UK Nationals
  • Nationals of the Republic of Ireland
  • Hold Settled Status under the EU Settled Status Scheme; or
  • Hold Pre-Settled Status under the EU Settled Status Scheme.

If either or both of the parties falls outside these categories, the couple will need to apply for a Marriage Schedule from the civil Register Office for the district where they live.

Further information is available on the Marriage Schedules pages of the Registry website.

If you have questions about the correct procedures, please contact the Diocesan Registry on the details below:

Diocesan Registry

Stuart Jones

Diocesan Registrar
stuart-jones​ 01603 756501

Richard Hastings

Registry Clerk
richard-hastings​ 020 3941 2059

Marriage By Common Licence

A Common Licence is a Bishop’s permission for a marriage to take place in a particular church. A Common Licence schedule is available to download below. Further information is available on the Common Licence page of the Registry website.

An application for a Common Licence should not be made until the three month period prior to the proposed wedding date.

File Downloads

Marriage after divorce

For those who wish to remarry in church after divorce, these supporting documents give the pastoral and legal position:

File Downloads