Hour of Prayer in solidarity for Ukraine
Senior church leaders representing various Christian denominations came together today in an ecumenical Hour of Prayer for Ukraine, at the Ukrainian Catholic Cathedral in London.
The service followed an event in March where senior faith leaders met with Faith Minister Kemi Badenoch at the Ukrainian Catholic Cathedral in London, and was a further demonstration of solidarity and support for Ukrainian people.
The service reflected a breadth of different spiritualities, traditions and ways of prayer, beginning with the chanting of the Sixth Hour Office of the Ukrainian Church by the Cathedral Clergy led by the Rt Rev Kenneth Nowakowski, Bishop of the Ukrainian Catholic Eparchy of the Holy Family of London.
The Rt Rev Kenneth Nowakowski, Bishop of the Ukrainian Catholic Eparchy of the Holy Family of London, said:
“It was a very moving experience to be united in prayer with so many leaders of the Churches and Christian Faith communities of London at Holy Family in Exile Cathedral for peace in Ukraine. We cannot underestimate the power of prayer as our Lord Jesus Christ told us that ‘Where ever two or three are gathered in my name, I am there with you.’”
A succession of prayers by church leaders of various Christian denominations followed, including from the Bishop of London, the Rt Revd Dame Sarah Mullally DBE.
Bishop Sarah said:
“Today I joined my fellow church leaders for what was a moving demonstration of solidarity for the people of Ukraine, in the hope of a peaceful solution to this horrendous situation. We must all – whether Christian, a follower of another faith or none – do all we can to support both those fleeing from war and those who remain in Ukraine. We must pray, and we must offer practical support, as churches across the Diocese of London and the Church of England more widely are doing.”
The church leaders present included:
- HG Bishop Kenneth Nowakowski, Bishop of the Ukrainian Eparchy of the Holy Family in London – Ukrainian Catholic Church
- HE Cardinal Vincent Nichols – Roman Catholic Church
- The Rt Revd & Rt Hon Dame Sarah Mullally DBE Bishop of London – Church of England
- HE Archbishop Angaelos – Coptic Orthodox Church
- The Revd George Watt – Moderator of the Thames North Synod of the United Reformed Church
- The Revd Les Isaac – Ascension Trust
- The Revd Phil Barnard – Team Leader London Baptist Association
- Lieut-Col David Shakespeare – Divisional Commander, North London Salvation Army