Home / Green energy suppliers
Table of Contents Share this page

Share an article by email

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Gas meter behind houses

Green energy suppliers

This page explains how to switch your energy supplies – electricity and in some cases gas – to a ‘green’ tariff.

This is one of the first steps to save energy and carbon emissions advocated for churches and people in the Diocese – the others being to review your heating system and its settings, and to change the lightbulbs to low energy models. Most of our churches have taken these steps already. See also Climate Action Plans.

Also the Big Church Switch offers alternatives for the best green energy suppliers.

Introduction

One of the simplest steps we can take in contributing to the effort against climate change is to switch to a green energy supplier.

Every supplier has to meet a minimum government standard; the cost of doing this is built into the tariff.

But this only goes part of the way. Some suppliers go further, with specific ‘green tariff’ options.

In the past these green options have come at a higher cost. That’s not necessarily so now. It is beginning to be possible to combine the cost benefit with an environmentally sensitive option. Here’s how.

Good Energy

Electricity

The Diocese of London has for several years advocated switching electricity supplies to Good Energy. The electricity in London Diocesan House and a number of our churches, halls and other properties is supplied by Good Energy.

Good Energy sells electricity from 100% renewable sources (solar, wind and hydro). The electricity consumed by customers is made up by supplying the same amount to the grid, from renewable generation sites owned by Good Energy or their third-party suppliers.

Good Energy’s tariffs include the cost of carbon-free electricity. However, renewable energy is becoming cheaper all the time, and more stable – often subject to less cost fluctuation than fossil fuel.

Under government rules, emissions from any ‘green’ tariff – including from Good Energy – are calculated on the same basis as any electricity from the grid. But the more green energy we buy, the lower the average for the grid will fall UK-wide.

Gas

Good Energy now also sells gas.

Increasingly, biomethane is being introduced to the gas grid. Gas supplied by Good Energy includes 6% of biomethane. The other 94% is balanced by verified carbon reduction schemes in the developing world.

Based on this, Good Energy claims 100% ‘green’ status for its gas. The carbon neutrality of such schemes is always heavily debated, but 100% carbon neutrality of UK gas is still obliged to rely on offsetting of one kind or another.

How to switch

It’s simple. Contact Good Energy online, or by by email, or call direct on 0845 456 1640.

Remember you can also see alternatives, including Good Energy and a handful of other companies, at The Big Church Switch.

Another option churches may also wish to consider is to sign up with the Church of England’s Parish Buying Energy Basket.

Before taking a final decision on switching, you can call the Head of Environment and Sustainability, to discuss the above or other options for your church.


Back
to top