Home / Support / Finance / Property & Rentals / Music Copyright Licences

Property & Rentals: Music Copyright Licences

Share this page

Share an article by email

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Churches must have appropriate copyright licences in place when performing and broadcasting music (including Christian hymns and songs) to ensure that they are complying with the law. There are different levels of copyright licence available depending on how music is used in church.

The two levels of cover for churches are:

CCLI (Christian Copyright Licensing International) – provides specialist licences for churches.
CCLI also provide fact files which explain the level of cover you need.

PRS (Performing Rights Society) provide licences for all types of performing and broadcasting outside of acts of worship, including public concerts. PRS traditionally provided a range of licences covering different needs (some of which can be purchased via CCLI). They also provide TheMusicLicence which is a single licence (in conjunction with another company, PPL) allowing you legally to “play music for employees or customers… through the radio, TV, other digital devices and live performances.”. In other words it is a single licence for all your non-worship music. Prices vary depending on your need and TheMusicLicence will provide you with a quotation tailored to your individual usage. This is explained further here.

to top