Preparing for Advent & Christmas 2020: Comfort and Joy
The Church of England have created a new Advent and Christmas theme this year to reflect the current Covid context. It is hoped that Comfort and Joy will better enable us to reflect where the country is and will be by the end of this year. This builds on the success of #FollowTheStar, the theme of the 2018 and 2019 campaigns.
This Christmas the Church will need, in the words of St Paul in Romans 12.15, to ‘Rejoice with those who rejoice; weep with those who weep’. We will aim to celebrate where we can together in one place – but also embrace a wider community that wants to join in the celebration but may not be physically able – or emotionally ready – to do so.
Resources for both parishes and individuals are being released over the next few weeks on the Church of England website. They include:
- A series of short reflections – Nine Lessons and Carols for Christmas – for Christmas Day to 2 January
- They will be made freely available via audio, smart speaker, as well as in app and email formats with accompanying prayer activities for children and families.
- You can order a booklet version here
- Nine online services throughout Advent and Christmas
- Advent, Christmas and Epiphany music free to download and use in your online services
- Service templates that can be downloaded
- Services and worship via the Daily Hope free phone number (0800 804 8044)
The national digital team are also hosting webinars to help churches prepare.