Shorter books and articles
To help you begin exploring the topic of disability, hospitality and belonging.
- John Hull et al. Disability – The Inclusive Church Resource, Darton, Longman and Todd.
- Disability language and diversity – a guide for the perplexed. Christa Ewert and Roy McCloughry.
- ‘All One in Christ’ The Biblical Imperative – A parish resource pack on disability. Diocese of Southwark
- SCOPE. Disability perception gap report.
- ‘Being disabled in Britain – a journey less equal’ (2017). Equality and Human Rights Commission report. Downloadable in various formats:
Disability and church
- Calling from the edge – reflections from the 2017 ‘Disability and Church’ conference – St Martin-in-the-fields and Inclusive Church.
- Something worth sharing – reflections from the 2018 ‘Disability and Church’ conference – St Martin-in-the-fields and Inclusive Church.
- Jean Vanier and John Swinton et al. Mental Health – The Inclusive Church Resource, Darton, Longman and Todd
- Welcoming and Including Autistic People in our Churches and Communities. Oxford diocese. Main author: Ann Memmott
- Valuing people with Down’s syndrome toolkit. The Church of England
- What is Autism? By Anne Memmott. A paper written for ‘Churches for all’
- Including young people on the autism spectrum in church, by Anne Memmott
- Valuing people with Down’s syndrome toolkit | The Church of England
- Revd Dr Joanna Collicutt. Thinking of you: a resource for the spiritual care of people with dementia.
- Becoming a dementia friendly church.pdf. A resource pack from ‘Churches Together in Greater Bristol’ offering a strategic approach to becoming a more dementia friendly church.
- Katie Tupling and Anna De Lange – Worship and disability – a kingdom for all. Grove Books – www.grovebooks.co.uk
Healing and prayer ministry
- Frances Mackenney-Jeffs – Embraced and included – disability and healing. Grove Books – www.grovebooks.co.uk
Theology of Disability and Inclusion
- Stanley Hauerwas. What Love Looks Like – Vulnerability, Disability and the Witness of Jean Vanier, ABC Religion and Ethics
- John Swinton (2012). From Inclusion to Belonging – A Practical Theology of Community, Disability and Humanness. PDF – https://www.london.anglican.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/From-Inclusion-to-Belonging.pdf
- John Swinton. Building a church for strangers. PDF – https://www.london.anglican.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/Building-a-church-for-strangers.pdf
- John Swinton. Who is the God we worship – Theologies of disability, challenges and new possibilities. PDF – https://www.london.anglican.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/Who_is_the_God_We_Worship.pdf
- Thomas Reynolds. Disability and Theology – changing the conversation. Available free from www.academia.edu
- Thomas Reynolds. Invoking deep access – disability beyond inclusion. Available from https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1540-6385.2012.00687.x
- Deborah Creamer. Disability Theology. Available free from www.academia.edu
- Roy MCCloughry and Wayne Morris. Making a world of difference – Christian reflections on disability. SPCK 2002. This is a concise introduction to disability theology with plenty of practical application.
- Mark Bredin. True Beauty – finding grace in disabilities. Grove Books – www.grovebooks.co.uk
If you want a longer read, these are a selection of books with theological insight and practical guidance that will open areas of disability history, spirituality, theology and ethics.
- Hans Reinders. Receiving the gift of friendship – Profound disability, theological anthropology, and ethics. William B. Eerdmans, 2008
- Deborah Creamer. Disability and Christian theology – Embodied limits and constructive possibilities. Oxford University Press, 2010. (Also available free on www.acaedemia.edu)
- Amos Yong. The Bible, Disability and the Church – A new vision of the people of God. William B. Eerdmans 2011.
- Jenni Hogan. This is my body – A story of sickness and health. Canterbury Press 2017
- Human disability and the service of God: reassessing religious practice. Ed. Eiesland and Saliers, Abingdon Press 1998.
- Disability in the Christian Tradition. Ed. Brock and Swinton, William B. Eerdmans 2012.
- Nancy Eiesland. The Disabled God – Towards a liberatory theology of disability. Abingdon Press 1994.
- Roy McCloughry. The Enabled Life – Christianity in a disabling world. SPCK 2013
- Thomas Reynolds. Vulnerable Communion – A theology of disability and hospitality. Brazos Press 2008.
- Jennie Weiss Block. Copious Hosting – A Theology of Access for People with Disabilities. Continuum 2002
- Frances M. Young. Brokenness and blessing – towards a biblical spirituality. Darton, Longman and Todd 2007
- Stanley Hauerwas and Jean Vanier. Living gently in a violent world – the prophetic witness of weakness. Intervarsity Press
- John Swinton. Becoming Friends of Time – Disability, Timefullness, and Gentle Discipleship. SCM Press 2017