Verger in The Parish of Holy Trinity and St Saviour, Upper Chelsea
Holy Trinity Church, Sloane Street is an Arts and Crafts church dubbed by Sir John Betjeman, sometime poet laureate, The Cathedral of the Arts and Crafts. A church which shows the hospitality of God through opening its doors every day of the week for a place of contemplation and peace. It is also a church which hosts many concerts and events throughout the year. Our new parish room has also offered new opportunities for groups to meet and exhibitions to be held.
The Parish is looking to find a suitable verger who likes a challenge, enjoys using their own initiative to solve a problem and works well with others. He/She will work alongside the Events and Facilities Manager to ensure that the building is always in a good state so as to offer a safe and pleasant environment for people to be welcomed into.
The Verger will work part-time, eight hours a week at a rate of £10.55 per hour (London Living Wage) on days which can be discussed at interview. Predominantly, the work will take place at Holy Trinity Church, Sloane Street helping to foster a warm and hospitable welcome for all visitors. There may also be occasions when the verger will need to undertake a similar role at our sister church of St Saviour, Walton Place. The verger will assist groups attending the church for concerts and may be required to work Saturdays and additional hours on a case by case basis.
Responsibilities and Duties
• Up-keep of the building.
• Refilling candle oil and candle stands.
• Greeting and assisting visitors.
• Moving pianos, chairs and other equipment to prepare the church for events.
• Some light cleaning.
• Being on hand to help the clergy and church staff as may be required.
• Friendly and able to work well in a team.
• Able to communicate clearly with visitors and staff.
• Able to work flexible hours when required.
• Physically capable of climbing ladders and moving equipment etc.
• Able to work with those of all faiths and none.
• No specific beliefs required but a respect for the church is essential.
If you are interested in this post, please send a covering letter along with your CV to Clinton McMaster, Events and Facilities Manager – firstname.lastname@example.org