Universal credit: how it will impact your parish?
Universal Credit is the biggest change to the welfare system for generations, so Capital Mass is offering free training aimed at anyone working for, or volunteering with, a church in the Diocese of London.
Over the next 3 years, Universal Credit will affect about 600,000 people, in and out of work, across the Diocese of London.
This means that Universal Credit will effect every congregation as well as guests at foodbanks, night shelters and similar ministries.
Should I attend the training?
If you answer yes to any of the following questions – then we’d suggest you come along.
Do you have anyone in your parish:
- Bringing up children on a low income?
- Out of work?
- On low wages or zero hour contracts?
- Receiving housing benefit?
- Unable to work due to illness or disability?
We look forward to seeing you at one of the Capital Mass training evenings.
What will the sessions cover?
These will be informal, informative sessions with plenty of time for questions and discussion. As ever with our events, we promise good coffee, tea, and snacks.
We will look at what the changes mean and how the church can respond:
- What is ‘Universal Credit’ and when is it being introduced?
- How will it affect those in my community?
- How might we respond supportively as a compassionate, gospel-preaching church?
You should come away with:
- Deeper knowledge of what is happening & issues that are affecting people
- Places you can signpost people for help
- Practical tools you can use in your church or community setting
Dates and venues
Below are dates for each Episcopal Area. You are more than welcome to attend the venue most convenient for you, whichever area you work in.
Kensington Tues 18th Sept at 10.30-12.30pm – St Simons Shepherds Bush, W14 0DA
Stepney Thurs 4th Oct at 7.30-9.30pm St. Annes, Hoxton, N1 5LF
Willesden Thurs 11th Oct at 7.30-9.30pm Holy Trinity, Perivale, UB6 8LN
Edmonton Wed 7th Nov at 10am-12pm Christ Church, Cockfosters EN4 9JQ
Two Cities Wed 14th Nov at 10am-12pm 36 Causton Street, SW1P 4AU
Download event and please do promote it around your parish and contacts