St Giles Almshouses celebrates refurbishment
Politicians and residents from across the community have gathered in the gardens of the St Giles Almshouses near Covent Garden for the annual Summer Tea Party hosted by St Giles-in-the-Fields Church and Bloomsbury United Charity.
This year attendees celebrated the recent refurbishment of 6 of the 8 almshouse flats, with the group given a guided tour to admire the improvements. The flats have been fitted out with new kitchens, bathrooms and flooring, as well as being completely redecorated.
After initial drinks the Reverend Alan Carr, the Rector of St-Giles-in-the-Fields and Chair of the charity, expressed thanks to everyone involved for all their hard work and the successful upgrade, in particular to Mary Swift of Harrison Housing, and Hazel Capper, the Clerk to the Trustees, who managed the project between them.
The St Giles Almshouses were originally founded in 1656 in the middle of what is today the intersection of St Giles High Street, Shaftesbury Avenue and High Holborn. However, they were rebuilt on their present site in 1790, which is now Macklin Street. In 1885, the Almshouses were reconstructed around the courtyard, and in 2005, they were modernised to produce 8 self-contained flats.