St Barnabas Ealing celebrates centenary
The Bishop of London, the Rt Revd Richard Chartres, has visited St Barnabas Church, Ealing, to preach at their Centenary Patronal Mass, celebrating their 100th Anniversary.
Over 250 people including present and former parishioners, local councillors, traders from Pitshanger Lane and former clergy of the parish attended.
The service featured music by Haydn, with choir and orchestra, as well as hymns from the original dedication service in 1916. As the service fell on the 90th birthday of the Queen the Bishop also led the congregation in a prayer in her honour.
Commenting on the service, Father Justin Dodd said:
“From the very beginning, the people of St Barnabas felt the call to be a church for Pitshanger community. So we wanted this to be a service of thanksgiving for God’s work of love and redemption in our neighbourhood as much as a celebration of an important milestone for the church.
“I was delighted that we were joined by people of all ages and walks of life, representing a whole host of connections to the parish. What’s more, it was very affirming to have Bishop Richard lead our worship as well as pray with us and bless us for the next phase of our mission in this part of west London.”
Following the service, the festivities continued with an Edwardian themed picnic. The church provided free refreshments for the local community and arranged whimsical Edwardian entertainment, including stilt walkers, Punch and Judy shows, bubbleologists, magicians and Pearly Kings and Queens. An Edwardian “Bake-Off” of home-baked cakes and desserts was judged by Anton Manganaro, BAFTA’s Head Chef.
The history of St Barnabas goes back to 1905, when a small congregation began to meet under the auspices of St Stephen’s Church at the junction of Pitshanger Lane and Castlebar Park. Some land was then bought by Dr Tupholme, Vicar of St Stephens to build the church on the site which it currently sits. It took several years to approve the designs for the church and then build it.
The new church building was consecrated by the Bishop of London, Dr Arthur Foley Winnington-Ingram on Saturday 3 June 1916. In a significant link with history, the current Bishop of London brought the same crozier carried by Dr Winnington-Ingram one hundred years before.
Photo Credit: Lee Bolton.