Bishop of London visits Monken Hadley School
The Bishop of London, Richard Chartres, has visited Monken Hadley Church of England Primary School in Barnet where he was given a tour of the school by some of its young pupils and led an Act of Dedication, inaugurating the school’s new prayer and its motto; “Seek what is good, treasure what is true, do what is right”.
During the visit, the Bishop presented pupils with an early Christmas present; a hanging ornament of St Paul’s Cathedral for the school Christmas tree, while students gave him a gift of homemade shortbread in the shape of leaves.
Monks founded Monken Hadley in the 13th Century and a school was built by the Church of England in partnership with the government in 1832. From the small one-class beginning, the school has grown so that now there are 150 children in five classes. It enjoys a strong partnership with the parish church of St Mary the Virgin, where the school church service is held there every week. The school’s badge also features its church tower and its famous ‘creset beacon’.
The visit was also attended by Her Majesty The Queen’s Representative for Barnet, Deputy Lord Lieutenant, Martin Russell, and the Chief Executive of the London Diocesan Board for Schools, Inigo Woolf. Following the service, the Bishop stayed for a shared lunch with staff where he learned more about their work and school life.
Images credit: Hugh Turvey