Bishop of London celebrates Diocese cricket team’s Church Times Cup win
The Bishop of London has hosted a reception to congratulate the Diocese of London cricket team on their victory in the Church Times Cup, which pits the cricket teams of different Anglican dioceses against each other.
The London team, captained by the Revd Joe Moffatt of St Mary with St Alban Teddington, beat opponents from the Diocese of Lichfield by eight wickets during the September 2013 final at the cricket ground near Christ Church, Southgate. The win came a year after London’s shock defeat by the Diocese of Southwark in the 2012 finals.
The Bishop of London commented:
"I congratulate you all warmly on your achievements and look forward to your exploits over the coming season. Cricket is a great gift from God to us all and long may it continue to flourish in the Church of England."
The team, which includes clergy from across the Diocese, is currently developing plans to defend the Cup in the forthcoming season, as well as being ready to contribute to the mooted match between Anglican and Vatican cricket teams.
The winning Diocese of London 2013 cricket team was:
- Nico Marais: Worship Pastor, St Luke’s Redcliffe gardens and HTB Worship Academy
- Matt Beeby: Curate, Christchurch Mayfair
- Jez Barnes: Vicar, St Stephen’s Twickenham
- Joe Moffatt: (C) Vicar, St Mary with St Alban Teddington
- Pat Allerton: Curate, Holy Trinity Brompton
- Andrew Downes: Curate, St Nicholas Chiswick
- Tim Rose: Associate vicar, St Mary Magdalene Littleton
- Ali Marshall: Youth Pastor, St Stephen’s Twickenham
- Ed Kendall: Curate, St Peter’s Fulham
- Phil Davison: Vicar, St Mary at Finchley
- Steve Paynter: Vicar, St Mary’s Ealing