- Print or Export this page to PDF
Capital Vision 2020
We share a vision of a Church for London that is Christ-centred and outward looking. We seek to be more confident in speaking and living the Gospel of Jesus Christ, more compassionate in serving communities with the love of God the Father and more creative in reaching new people and places in the power of the Spirit.
Capital Vision 2020, the Diocese of London's vision for the next seven years, emerged from conversations with nearly 2,000 people. It was adopted by synod in March 2013 and launched in front of 2,000 people at St Paul's Cathedral in June 2013. Capital Vision comprises three major themes, with 10 specific areas in which we plan to be more purposeful and imaginative.
Confident in speaking and living the Gospel of Jesus Christ
We will be more confident in speaking and living the Gospel of Jesus Christ. To enable this we will by 2020:
- Communicate the Gospel more effectively, using the opportunities offered by new media.
- Equip and commission 100,000 ambassadors representing Jesus Christ in daily life
- Invest in leadership and increase the number of ordinands by 50%.
Compassionate in serving communities with the love of God the Father
We will be more compassionate in serving communities with the love of God the Father. To enable this we will by 2020:
- Enable new initiatives to fight poverty, inequality and injustice in London and worldwide, including our joint venture with the Church Urban Fund
- Open up our church buildings to the wider community
- Strengthen links between schools and their local Christian community
Creative in reaching new people and places with the Good News in the power of the Spirit
We will be more creative in reaching new people and places with the Good News in the power of the Spirit. To enable this we will by 2020:
- Double the number of young people involved in local Christian community
- Create or renew 100 worshipping communities
- Engage more closely with sport and the creative arts
- Each pray for at least seven people that we may share with them the story of our faith
How will you be part of the story?
There are a number of ways to receive and share news of Capital Vision:
- Sign up here to express your interest in a particular theme
- To find out more as the story unfolds visit our news section and the Ministry Matters blog
- Twitter: follow @dioceseoflondon and use the #CV2020 hashtag
- Facebook: subscribe to our page at facebook.com/dioceseoflondon
Capital Vision Prayer
You have called us to be salt and light in this great city;
Guide us by your Holy Spirit to discern your will for your Church
as we seek to follow your Son Jesus Christ in loving and serving our neighbours.
Give us the wisdom and strength to fulfil the vision you put before us
and help us to play our part in transforming our earthly city into a sign of the Heavenly Jerusalem
where you live and reign, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, One God now and for ever.
You can download PDFs of the contents of the launch pack given to people who attended the launch at St Paul's Cathedral: a letter from the Bishop of London, a post card and a fold out leaflet. See the resources block at the end of this page.
Resources to help you share and discuss Capital Vision 2020 with your church or school group, including a video made at the launch service and a discussion guide, will be made available.